First Coast Medical Center has expanded our medical team and services for enhanced patient treatment and results. Our Medical Director, Dr. Raul B. Zelaya, has over 40 years of experience as a Board-Certified Orthopedic Surgeon. Grady Carter, PA-C, who is orthopedically trained, has recently joined our practice. ARNPs round out our in-house medical team providing medical services to all three First Coast Medical Center locations.
Our medical providers regularly evaluate your progress and offer information to help you understand your condition and what you can do at home to get the best results in treatment, allowing you to be an integral part in your own recovery. In addition to general medical case management, our medical team provides effective pain control procedures such as:
- Medications prescribed for soft tissue injuries that vary based on the type of injury and the patient’s medical history. However, if needed, medications can help relieve pain, reduce inflammation and swelling and relax tight, painful muscle spasms.
- Trigger point injections may also be an option for treating pain. Trigger point injections—or TPI—are a safe and effective pain management procedure that may help patients suffering with certain soft tissue injuries. TPI is used to treat painful areas of muscle that contain trigger points or tight, inflamed muscle knots that form when muscles are injured. TPI may relax muscle spasms and may provide significant pain relief. Our medical doctor and nurse practitioners skillfully apply this procedure as needed.
- Nerve block is another pain management option that may be used for certain soft tissue injuries. At times, soft tissues injuries can affect certain groups of nerves resulting in pain in particular body regions such as the neck, back, shoulders and head. Nerve block injections can block these nerves providing considerable pain relief.
- Toradol/Ketorolac Injection is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory (NSAID) medication that can be injected for quick pain relief.
- Iontophoresis is an effective method of medication delivery that can be very helpful for certain painful tendon and joint injuries.
- Lidocaine Pain Patches can be applied in the office to provide patients with lasting pain relief between their office visits.
Our multidiscipline approach includes medical management, along with chiropractic care and therapy, to provide you with comprehensive treatment and recovery.
When advanced pain management and surgical consultations are needed, we also work with a network of specialists in the Jacksonville community to accommodate those needs.