Your back is engineered to provide support and flexibility for your entire body. This functionality is possible because your back is composed of a complex network of ligaments, tendons, nerves, bones, and muscles that work as a unit. Unfortunately, if any of these structures are affected, you may experience back pain that impedes mobility and deteriorates your quality of life. Thankfully, our team at First Coast Medical Center provides the testing and treatment methods you need to recover from back pain and prevent it from returning.
Causes of Back Pain
There are several causes of back pain. The most common include:
- Sciatica: When the sciatic nerve is pinched, you may experience a stabbing or shooting pain traveling from your lower back to the back of one leg through the buttocks.
- Herniated disc: Due to injury or wear and tear, your disc may herniate or bulge. A bulging or herniated disc presses on a nearby nerve, causing pain, tingling, and numbness.
- Scoliosis: The abnormal curvature of the spine may cause back pain.
- Spinal stenosis: The narrowing of the vertebrae column may compress the back structures, causing pain.
- Sprains and strains: Sports activities, car accidents, falls, and slips may injure your back’s tendons and ligaments, causing swelling, pain, and limited mobility.
- Poor posture: Awkward positions when sleeping, lifting weights, or sitting may put undue stress on your back, causing pain.
- Osteoarthritis: The wearing down of the cartilage may cause the bones to rub against each other, causing stiffness and pain.
While back pain is a common condition, some people are likely to sustain back pain more than others. For example, if you are pregnant, obese, aged 50 and above, and sit for long periods, you are at a higher risk for back pain.
How Our Chiropractors Treat Back Pain
If you are experiencing back pain that isn’t responding to traditional treatments, it’s time to book an appointment with our chiropractors. Instead of masking your pain with painkillers, we use natural remedies to treat the root cause of your pain. Common chiropractic treatments for back pain include:
Chiropractic adjustments: Aligning your spine removes restrictions that may impede the optimal functionality of your nervous system. This action triggers your body’s self-healing mechanism, providing wellness to the whole body, including your back.
Stretching exercises: Stretching exercises targeting your back improve mobility, reduce pain, and strengthen your back against future injuries.
Visit Us for Back Pain Treatment
Book an appointment with First Coast Medical Center, serving North Jacksonville, Orange Park, FL, and the surrounding areas for natural and non-invasive relief.